Breast pumping is quite simply how you remove milk from your breasts, either by hand (yes that can be done!) or using a breast pump. And yes, it can make you feel like a dairy cow….moooo.
But it does mean that your milk can then be given to your baby in a baby bottle (or even a cup), so that they continue to get all the goodness of breast milk even if you can’t feed them yourself from the breast.
We'll give you the Tommee Tippee low down on pumping and we can promise you it's important, but definitely not sexy.
Reasons to breast pump
You may choose to breast pump for all sorts of reasons, including:
- To build up a store of milk for when you return to work or aren’t with your baby.
- To relieve engorged breasts (they can get very full!).
- To stimulate extra milk production by your breasts.
- To give your partner the opportunity to get involved with feeding.
- And our favorite, to give you the chance to take time out or get some rest
You're ready to begin. Time to move on to our help and hints on